Sunday, September 21, 2008

Some lessons learned

I look back over the past month and realize that so much has changed in my life. It is amazing to think that one month ago today Stephanie and I were sitting down seriously talking about the possibility that Gracie may need to lose her eye. Only one week prior to that we were basically oblivious to the major health challenges that awaited our little girl. Those days seem like a lifetime away.
Since then I have learned much about a disease that I never knew existed. A disease that seems to be indifferent to a child's upbringing, nationality, religion, gender or ethnicity. A disease that brings, at a minimum, much sadness and heartache for families and friends. Then, if undiagnosed, untreated or allowed to spread, it can bring death. Gratefully, I have also learned that, through the miracles of modern medicine, retinoblastoma is treatable. Survival rates are extremely high in the industrialized nations. Not only do children with retinoblastoma survive but they have the opportunity to thrive in our society and make a real difference in the world. I am so very grateful for that knowledge.
More importantly I have learned a lot about people in the last month. I have come to more fully appreciate family. I cannot say enough about Stephanie, my wife. She has made certain that everyone was taken care of and felt loved. I am glad she chose me those 8 years ago when I asked her to marry me.
I have been blessed with a wonderful loving family (both from my birth family and the family I married into). Though I have lived far away ("far, far away- and over the mountains," as Gracie likes to say), I have felt close and in some cases been close. Knowing that I have never been alone, even when times were toughest, has kept me from getting too down.
Our church family has reached out in so many ways. I cannot count the number of ways that people have reached out in love and service. I do not even try to list them for I know that I will miss something.
I am blessed with awesome neighbors. People from my community have become a wonderful source of strength each day. Each has their struggles and lives but all have stopped to lift and help me and my family. We are buoyed up by their kindness and charity.
I also have found true kindness and love from friends. Expressions of support and concern have been overwhelming. I have been blessed to work with people that not only said they care, but show it. I have received messages from old co-workers and school associates telling me of their love and support. People from all types of religions have informed us of their personal and congregational prayers for our Gracie and her family. I know that family friends are faithfully praying and working to help Gracie beat her cancer as soon as possible. I know that the wonderful medical team, which helped get Gracie's CT scan so quickly, has been given special permission from their employer to follow this blog from work. Their support along with the love and support of so, so many others is evident in Gracie's life. My family and I truly do feel of the support and love. I have found that, just like retinoblastoma, true friends are found across nationalities, religions, genders and ethnicities.

I am confident that all will be well for our Gracie. I have been richly blessed to have Gracie in my family. She brightens each and every one of my days!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your family is truly blessed and will be blessed for the trials that you are experiencing at this time. Just wanted to let you know that we went to the temple on Saturday, it was a Stake Temple day...what a wonderful experience. Beautiful day, sun was shining and a wonderful experience to be able to attend a session with so many wonderful friends, I put Gracie's name on the prayer roll. I know that my prayers were answered today.... peaceful, warm feeling. May you and your family have a good week. Give our love to everyone.
Love,
Aunt Mary Ann and Uncle Cameron

Anonymous said...

We love you guys!! We pray for you all each morning and night!

Mikael and Hillary

Anonymous said...

Steph,
Sorry I wasn't home last Friday when you called. We were in Miss. with our daughter and granddaughter. Please call me again if you need anything. My cell # is 796-5875 if my home phone doesn't answer. Ron doesn't answer call-waiting when working from home.
Glad to see things are better now. Please let me know if you need a meal or ect.