Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Followup to my rant

I've decided to do a followup post now that I've become more rational again. I've got in touch with the cancer center here and we're working on getting things arranged to do all of Gracie's blood work there from now on. I'm glad I didn't tell off the lab tech who drew her blood on Monday because I simply didn't need to. As I said earlier, I was an RN. I know anyone can make a mistake. Even today the shot I gave Gracie wobbled a little in my hand and didn't go in as nicely as I'd have liked (she kind of moved when I put it in and bumped my hand, and subcutaneous injections are not hard to give) but I still consider myself a good nurse. Or a good retired nurse at least. There isn't anyone in their job/life that doesn't make mistakes. And sometimes they're stupid mistakes. I'm still not happy that she dismissed Gracie's tears as "nothing" but as a parent there is a line between being your child's advocate and just being difficult. It's not even that fine of a line. But if I get the habit of just being a difficult shrew I'll soon become that patient who no one wants to care for, whether they're good or not. You do catch more flies with honey after all. I'm being Gracie's advocate by simply not taking her back there again. We now know that they're not really experienced with children, never mind children on chemotherapy. So we've learned and we'll do differently next time. If I need to in the future I'll say something, but this time I didn't need to.

Gracie is doing very well today. Her older sister is sick though, so we're trying to keep them separate. I have people lined up who are willing to take my children when they're sick to keep them away from Gracie, but I'm hoping her blood counts aren't too low after this first round so that she isn't too compromised, that way a quarantine won't be necessary. It's hard for me to think of sending my other children out to stay with other people just when they need me the most. Sick kids want their mom. But there are no signs of illness in Gracie right now, so we're hoping it stays that way.

Stephanie

No comments: