Saturday, May 30, 2009

An update from the day after

Well we just spoke with Dr. G. He said that we are ready to go, so we are just waiting for paper work. Gracie will not open her eye. It hurts her to open it so she is mostly just lying around with her eyes closed. Per Dr. G, this is normal for children following an enucleation. She has eaten quite a bit. Whenever we ask how she is doing she says, "I hurt a little bit." She is enjoying cuddling with her mom and has no desire to have me near her. I am the one that gets her breakfast and drinks. I am glad I have a purpose at least.
We are going to head to a hotel for the rest of the day and tonight. I am sure Stephanie and I will sleep better. We will see what Gracie wants to do the rest of the time we are in Houston. We will see Dr. G again on Monday morning to make sure things are still going smoothly.
Dr. G told us today (and yesterday) that the pathologist had taken a preliminary look at Gracie's eye. They said that the seeds looked active, meaning that the floating tumors in her right eye were growing. There were so many of them that it is unlikely they could have been controlled. We are grateful that those tumors are no longer a concern and excited to move forward with Gracie's cancer-free life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Gracie and family!
This is Tanya, Camryn's mom. We met at the clinic in Austin one day. I wanted to say hello and that I am praying for you guys everyday!
I love all of your pictures on here Gracie! You are so gorgeous!
Love, The Cotton Family

K said...

I am so happy for Gracie and for all her family that the surgery went well and that the cancer is removed! I've been so impressed as I've read your blog how much effort everyone put in to save her eye. I know that part of you is mourning the loss of Gracie's eye. I hope you find great comfort in knowing that everything that could be done was done and the surgery was very necessary to save Gracie's life.

I will continue to pray for Gracie to be cancer-free and for her "good" eye to remain healthy.