Monday, May 25, 2009

Prosthesis Video

For those of you who are curious as to what a prosthesis looks like and what an empty eye with an implant looks like here is a really good video. The woman in the video lost her eye to cancer (choroidal melanoma) as an adult.


You'll notice that she doesn't have the extreme movements in the eye, but usually you don't move your eyes to the extreme corners. With regular movements you'd hardly notice anything was different. And some prosthetics have better movement than others too. I think hers probably doesn't have as good as movement as others I've seen.


3 comments:

Travis and Mardi said...

Wow, it's amazing what great prosthetics they can make now. You would never know that it wasn't her real eye!

Kirsten said...

It really is amazing what prosthetics are theses days. I just showed it to Ali and Ben so they will know what to expect. Bless the innocence of children, they were both very impressed and Ali said "I wish I could have an eye like that". Of course she doesn't understand the ramifications, but it does show how accepting kids are with even a little education.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting that. I was visualizing a scary hole. (I don't know why) And what a great sport the woman was for doing that video. That certainly makes me feel better, and probably a lot of the rest of us who have been following little Gracie along.
Thanks again,
Sister Linda Heydt