Thursday, October 30, 2008

Giving Platelets

Well, since Gracie's blood counts were so low today she could not go for her dental appointment. She has a bunch of work that needs to be done on her teeth but the dental procedures pose a risk of infection for someone, like Gracie, who is immunocompromised. So we decided to make good use of our time and try to get a PhD! This is a picture of Gracie at the Blood and Tissue center in Austin Texas. I went there with her so that I could donate platelets. Gracie and others in her situation need platelets when their counts are low (Gracie has platelets infused last Friday). Platelets do not have a long shelf life and require more time for the donor, but less blood. So we thought that it would be good if we gave platelets when possible to help others like Gracie has been helped. We also would encourage you all to donate platelets (or blood for that matter) when you can.
Anyway, this is a picture of Gracie right outside the room where I donated. They are encouraging people to donate by giving PhDs to those that go so many times throughout the year. I was excited because I am in a PhD program right now and thought that maybe I could just change majors and be done right away! They fooled me though and I only found out after my donation that you needed to donate so many times in one calendar year, not just 365 days. Now the pressure is really on because you can only donate every 10 days up to 24 times a year and the calender year is soon ending. That leaves not too much time to get it done! I still think the poster is pretty funny.
Anyway, the point of this blog is to tell you all that I am wimpier than a 3 year old. Here is why.
We thought that Gracie might like to see that sometimes her dad needed needles (or "little pokes" as she calls them). So I called her over when they were going to do a finger prick. I really hate needles and pokes so I was really trying to be brave for her. The lab tech asked Gracie if she thought it would hurt and I immediately said, "Yep." She looked at me and told Gracie that it wouldn't hurt. Well, it did and I did not like it. Neither did Gracie, I think. She was interested in the whole affair but did not really want me to get pokes either. Though, she was excited to meet all of the techs and get new friends! She is such a little sweetheart.
Pretty soon they had me in a nice big chair and brought out the needle. I was ready to get up and leave but Gracie was right there watching me and so I stayed. I was probably a really annoying donor as I kept telling them that it was sore or the pressure was too great. I did not know how it was suppose to feel so I told them how it felt. One time the tech asked, "Does it feel like there is a needle sticking into your arm?" I agreed that it did. She glanced down at the needle sticking out of my arm and said, "That is pretty normal." I had to sit in the chair about 1 hour for the entire donation of one unit of platelets. My platelet count was already low so they could only take one unit even though they thought I would be able to give two units at the start of the visit. The process involves a machine drawing blood from you and separating the platelets out before returning the rest of the blood to you. So the machine constantly pulls blood then infuses blood from the same site on your arm. Returning the blood actually felt the most unpleasant as the blood was cooler and put pressure on your blood vessels. It was worth it though and, since the appointment, I have only felt uneasy when I think about them taking my blood. Overall the process was pretty painless except if you are a wimp like me and hates thinking of your blood cruising around in some machine outside of your body.
Gracie is even more my hero now as I have seen her give and receive blood and other fluids many, many, many times over the past two months and, while she dislikes it, she is ever so co-operative and always cheerful after its over. Speaking of Gracie she has been a bit tired today, but that is to be expected with low blood counts. She was quite the entertainer at the blood clinic. While there she would point to me and say, "That's my dad. He is MY James." Then she would proceed to say that her mom belonged to her sister but that I was hers. I am quite OK with that as she is my special little girl and I love her so much. To be entirely clear to all of you, I actually belong to Stephanie but Gracie can borrow me when she needs to.
Thank you all for your support and love. Gracie is doing marvelously. The swelling in her eye has been reduced each morning this past week and she is still full of energy and joy. She was excited last night to be interviewed by "Make-A-Wish Foundation." She told them that she wanted to go to Disney World. She is thrilled that she may get to go there soon and celebrate with her family. While at the interview, she received a doll and a magic wand, which she has played with every since!


Below is a picture of Gracie before her sisters left for church last Sunday. I thought it was cute so I added it in. Gracie misses going to church with them but loves to get in her dress and get ready to go each Sunday!



1 comment:

'M's said...

way to go Gracie's dad! I might just have to get on that myself.