Sunday, October 26, 2008

Eye Hemorrhage



So I'm not sure what Gracie's platelets are now that she's had her transfusion, but they must still be low as yesterday her eye hemorrhaged. Basically the sclera (white part of the eye) started filling with more blood. The bleeding has slowly continued throughout today. Maybe the bleeding hasn't continued, but the blood has spread further in the sclera. I called Dr. O. to ask if we should be concerned and she said if it's not affecting vision she wouldn't worry unless the eye actually started to bulge. What caused the hemorrhage? With as low as her platelets were it could have been spontaneous. Tonight I just compounded the issue when I was demonstrating my light sabre maneuvers to James and the girls. Our phone has a light sabre app complete with sound effects and music and I didn't know Gracie was standing right beside me while I was doing it (come on little boys aren't the only ones who played Star Wars growing up). Of course wouldn't you know I hit her right in her right eye. I didn't think I hit her that hard, but I guess her eye was more tender than she's been letting on. I felt absolutely horrible. Especially after all the jokes about if she's going to injure her eye make sure it's her bad eye she injures so we can preserve her good eye (there is actually an element of truth to that). But she seems to have recovered just fine and she doesn't even seem to be keeping her distance from me any more. When they enucleate an eye the child is always required to wear glasses after to protect the remaining eye. I need to look into getting her glasses to protect her left eye even if we don't enucleate the right eye as there will be some element of danger for a long time after chemo is over and I'd hate for anything to happen to the better of the two eyes. Childhood is filled with accidents. 

 We wish that the low blood counts would tire her out just a little bit so that she wasn't so extremely active still. It would be a lot easier to prevent injury that way. Today we had her out on a walk and she was jumping over and off of huge boulders. Lovely considering if she cut herself or had internal injuries she'd just keep bleeding. Oh well, what's one to do. We're certainly glad that she's taking everything in stride (or leaps and jumps). We are so very blessed. 

Stephanie

3 comments:

GinnyBerry said...

I'm glad that she feels well enough to jump and run but it must be a great concern to you... trying to prevent injuries without limiting her activities.

You are doing a wonderful job. I will be praying for Gracie. She is a delight.

The Ord Family said...

Hey guys - I'm sorry, but I had to laugh. I think it's great that you guys are struggling to subdue Gracie, instead of worrying about her not being active. I can just picture Steph whacking her in the eye. I would feel bad too. Ashlyn just burst a blood vessel in her eye a few weeks ago, and it scared the heck out of me, and I took her straight to the doctor. For us, I think things looked way worse than they really were. We continue to follow the blog, and pray for Gracie.

Love to you all,
Lins (and Jared and kids)

Travis and Mardi said...

Wow. I knew you had skills, but I didn't know they extended to light sabres. I think I need a phone like that. I feel so sad for you and Gracie, though- I can imagine how bad you must have felt. It's a good thing that kids are so resilient and quick to forgive.