Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What her eye looks like




Now that we've got the stitch out and her eye is used to opening up again we took a couple of pictures to show you what it looks like. The eye looks like it's bulging, but that's just the clear plastic conformer that you're looking at. I must admit I'd panicked a bit myself when I saw it as any pictures I'd seen of conformers before were white. And the clear one just makes it look like the mucous membrane is really bulging. I worried that the conformer was lost and that the eye was inflamed. A quick call to Dr. G. remedied that little crisis though.

Some of you are going to be really sad looking at these pictures, but don't be. I sat Gracie up at the mirror and we looked at her eye together and discussed it. Once again we talked about why her eye needed to be removed. She knows her eye was sick and that if we didn't remove it then her entire body would get very very sick. She knows it, and she's perfectly fine with it. It doesn't make her sad at all. She doesn't think it looks scary. While we were discussing it I told her that her eye looks really neat. She agrees. Come on, everyone has two eyes, it takes someone special to have just one! She's even got two cousins that now think having a fake eye would be the coolest thing ever. She just entirely trusts us (James and I) and knows we wouldn't do anything to hurt her. Watching her deal with this reminds me of why the Saviour says we need to be as a little child. She has 100% faith in James and I and in our decisions regarding her. Even when she's been in pain she always tells James and I how much she loves us and never holds anything we've put her through against us. It's all been for her own good and we've done it out of nothing but love for our little girl. I've learned so much in the past year from watching her and our other children. Perhaps someday I'll have to make a separate blog just for sharing those lessons. But that will have to wait for another day.

Thank you for your love, support and prayers. If you're looking for something to pray for in regards to Gracie, pray that she starts accepting her eye ointment more easily. Right now it's a fight every morning and every night. But she needs to have this ointment for a long time still. It would make it much easier on herself if she'd just relax and let us do it. It doesn't hurt. It should be rather soothing. But she's had so much done to her eyes in the past year that she doesn't like to let anyone near them. It should make getting her prosthesis fitted fun, as they have to actually take a mold of the eye socket. Hopefully she'll soon realize that it doesn't hurt and it really isn't a big deal.

Stephanie

9 comments:

Unknown said...

It amazes me how beautiful she is. She is just a gorgeous little girl. It is good to see her so happy and smiling. She now looks just like she got a cute little pixie hair cut, and the eye looks better than I expected so soon after surgery. I imagine it will be nice to have the prosthesis done, but she still looks great. And we will start praying about the ointment!!!
Love, the Ericksons

Anonymous said...

I sometimes wonder if each of my grandchildren know how very much I love them...each, like Gracie, is so special in their own special way. I hope that each one of them knows that they are "Grandma's favorite" and that my joy is full when I am with them. Thanks to my children and their spouses for all that they are!

I am grateful to be a part of each of your lives.

Love, Mom/Grandma L

Liz Beedub said...

On her... it works!

She's really cute. When you first spoke of enucleation, I thought of a gaping pit of an eye socket. Not a nice mental picture.

From the photos, it just looks like the eye is (incredibly) bloodshot. I'm happy things have worked out so well for all of you.

Jill said...

Gracie is an inspiration. I agree that her eye looks cool -- and look at that hair growing back already!!

Kristi Lampkin said...

She is a gorgeous little girl. I have been following your blog for 6 months or more now and cry when you cry and am excited right along with you. I hope you continue this blog as I would love to see her grow as she gets past this bump along the road in her path called "life". I am happy the surgery went well and that she is back to feeling like herself.

Anonymous said...

I was just looking at this post and Courtney came in the room and saw the pictures. He said, "look at her, still just a big smile on her face!!" She is so cute and we're happy she's so cheerful amongst all that's gone on.
Courntey and Rachel Hansen family

lillian said...

I hope the surgery permits a lifetime remission, one day at a time. Warm prayers, Lil

Steve, Amy and Company said...

Gracie is a doll and she is blessed to have such great parents. I would love for Lucy and Gracie to meet! I think they would just be the best of friends!

Little Miracles said...

I am amazed at how she is always smiling. What a great spirit she has, we are thinking and praying for you guys and little gracie has inspired me to be a more positive person. We love you guys

Justin, Cassy and Girls