Sunday, August 26, 2012

Another EUA...or two.


I made this post several months ago for our family blog and kept meaning to post it on here. Well, now that James has posted on this blog about Gracie's 4 year diagnosis day anniversary it inspired me to paste this post here too.

In January (2012) Gracie went for another EUA, it was also time for her new baby brother's EUA as well as time to draw his blood so they could do his genetic testing. Due to a last minute meeting James had, I had to take the kids by myself to Houston. I was quite concerned about taking care of both of the kids by myself in the recovery room but things actually worked out quite well. We made it back to Austin in record time, which I guess can be expected when you leave at 4am, but both kids got two thumbs up with their retinas and the baby's tests did come back negative for Gracie's RB1 mutation. Thankfully, she's one of a kind in that regard. 

 Here's a very hungry baby in pre-op. He was required to go without food for 4 hours prior to anesthesia. They have no idea how big of a sacrifice this was for our little porker. He'd never done that before and I don't think he's ever done it since. He was two months old for all of this.

 In the recovery room. He's still asleep, hence the oxygen.

 We're pretty used to seeing our little Gracie like this. Thankfully she comes out of anesthesia very well. We've lost count of how many times she's been under it. I think it's something like 25 when you consider EUA's, MRI's and surgeries. 


Sleepily sipping her apple juice that she drinks after every EUA. 

He may look really ticked off, and he may well be, but thankfully he stayed quiet for long enough for me to help Gracie as she came out of anesthesia. He was awfully tired in this picture still, although thankfully his tummy was now full as I nursed him as soon as he was alert enough to eat. That made him a much happier little man.

Of course on our way out of town we stopped by IHOP. You simply can't have an EUA without IHOP after:) 

No comments: